I came across some good info about the difference between two major Iaas provider Openstack and VMware. So thought of sharing with this blog. Couple of differences are as follows.
- Feature rich (vSphere HA, vMotion, DRS, I/O control).
- Very large ecosystems.
- All os vendors make it supported and certified under ESXi.
- ESXi can be downloaded and used Freely.
- Per core license – expensive.
- Proprietary platform.
- ESXi can not be APIs accessed – need to buy licenses.
- Probably the most successful example of Open Source project after Linux.
- Support from many OEMs and OS vendors.
- Interoperability with many components, just pick your favorite one and plug it in.
- Standard and well accepted APIs.
- Very complex to setup and troubleshoot.
- Although common codebase, might differ from implementations.
- Need high numbers of management nodes.
- High skills required to run the Cluster.